Rolling stock/Appendix 3.c: Recommended specification for flange-lubrication systems.
1 Annex 3C
1.1 Recommended specification for flange- lubrication systems
The recommendation below is taken from the report “Rail- and Flange lubrication of the Norwegian National Railway Network”. The report was compiled in 2004 in cooperation With the Railway Undertakings.
Generally speaking, the systems shall be functional, reliable, environmentally sound and economical. Nozzles:
- The nozzles must give a constant amount of lubrication throughout the operation interval.
- The nozzles must be wearproof,anticorrosive with specified wear limits that indicate when malfunction may occur.
- They must be easy to replace without complicated tools and procedures.
- They must be resilient towards ice, Cold and minor pollutants in the lubrication.
- They must be reliable with respect to the concentrated spraying throughout their entire lifetime.
- They must be easy to clean if blockage occurs.
- They ought to be adjustable with regard to the amount of lubrication.
- The nozzles must not be mounted higher than 2 o’clock in the wheels` rotating direction, preferably lower.
- The nozzles must be mounted easily accessible for inspection and adjustments of the sprayed part of the flange.
- The mounting must be solid and able to withstand external forces and vibrations during running operation.
- They must be easily adjustable for the correct lubrication point on the flange and easily be controlled by means of gauge.
- They must be easy to replace if defects or malfunction occur.
- They must be easily accessible for controlling functionality, amount of lubrication and intervals.
The piping for lubrication and air
- The mechanical parts must be corrosion resistant.
- It must be able to withstand excess pressure as a result of impulse pressure or blocked nozzles.
- It must be simple to clean due to blockage.
- It must have a low resistance against transport lubrication with respect to changes of viscosity and temperature to -40 degrees C.
- It must be easy to inspect for damage and leaks.
- The tank must have a closed system for filling, preferably with a ? coupling to avoid pollution.
- The tank must have airing filter to prevent penetration of dirt and humidity.
- The tank must be easy to clean as required.
- The tank must have a location and construction that makes inspection easy to do.
- The tank must be easy to refill.
Quality of the compressed air.
- The compressed air must be clean and dry.
The control unit of the lubrication system.
The Control Unit must be able to:
- Regulate the frequency of lubrication impulses as function of both time and distance.
- Regulate the impulse duration in order to specify the time period for lubrication.
- Regulate the amount of lubrication and air pressure.
- Have possibility curve dependent regulation of the lubrication when speed is above 100 km/h.